This workshop will focus on mealtime and medication assistance. Techniques focusing on safe medication assistance, managing mealtime for a person with dementia, and dysphagia (choking). The knowledge and skill provided will assist in promoting autonomy, safety and family connection.
Learn safe feeding and medication administration that will promote autonomy, safety and family connection. You will learn:
- Techniques for food consistency
- Techniques for assisting swallowing
- Prevention of choking
- Medications and polypharmacy- benefits and risks
What to expect:
Lecture (1 hour)
- Covering tips and tricks, how to observe the health status of your loved one, resources and tools for assistance, hands on training.
Video of a Simulated Experience (1 hour)
Prior to the workshop, registrants will receive the following:
- Experience high potential scenarios that a caregiver may experience while looking after a loved one and go through appropriate decision making and the steps of care
All participants will receive a digital badge upon completion of the workshop as evidence of their newly acquired skills.
- Instruction to access online platform link for viewing the workshop
- Information guide and resources
- Access to quick videos for just in time learning
Choking from NorQuest College on Vimeo.